Messaging Apps that Respect Your Privacy
If you’re ready to make a switch from WhatsApp to a more trusted and secure messaging app, here are a few of the best:
- Signal – Released in 2014, Signal takes the lead where privacy and security are concerned. Its technology is 100 percent open source, and it offers an array of enhanced security features like unique device safety numbers for each conversation and password protection for the app itself.
- Viber – In addition to being a privacy-focused messaging app, Viber is one of the most popular ones out there next to WhatsApp and Skype. It offers security features like end-to-end encryption and color-coded chats based on their level of security. It also has a secret chat feature that supports self-destructing messages.
- Telegram – This interesting app offers optional encryption for chats, which is enabled through its secret chats feature. You can set messages to self-destruct across all synced devices either at a set time or automatically. It also allows the largest chat groups of any messaging service with up to 10,000 users allowed to join one group.
- Wickr – Wickr was founded in 2012 by a group of privacy and security advocates based out of San Francisco. It was one of the first messaging services to use end-to-end encryption. In addition to being run on an open-source network and undergoing regular security audits, it also offers several security features, such as blocking third-party keyboards on iOS, screenshot detection, and more.
- Jabber/OTR – For the ultimate in anonymity, Jabber/OTR takes the cake. These services work differently from other messaging apps by creating a decentralized platform that’s secure and open-source. They can even be set up anonymously.
Additional Tips for Maintaining Your Privacy Online
In addition to choosing a privacy-focused messaging app, there are additional ways to safeguard your data online. Here are a couple of the best:
- Connect to a Virtual Private Network. A VPN can be used on any device for the ultimate security when browsing the internet. Download a VPN app and connect to a secure server of your choice. The VPN will mask your IP address and send all of the information you send and receive through an encrypted tunnel, keeping your data safe and secure.
- Use a privacy-focused web browser. Browsers such as Tor and DuckDuckGo were created with your privacy and security in mind. They come with loads of features to keep your data encrypted and protected.
The internet offers so many conveniences and puts the world at our fingertips, but it can be a threatening place where your data is vulnerable and can be misused by people and companies who have impure motives. Make sure that you browse and chat smartly and securely by following the tips above.