Data management refers to the creation and maintenance of information or data, including the collection, storage, retrieval, and analysis of data. It is essential to the function of any business, organization, or individual. There are many different areas within data management. The following question focuses on the skills required to perform the duties of data management in an Information Technology (IT) environment.
Who does data management?
Every business, organization, and individual user data in a variety of ways. Delphix TDM refers to the process of collecting, storing, and processing data, as well as ensuring that the information is available in a consistent, organized, and accurate manner. This includes the collection, storage, and retrieval of all types of data.
To perform data management successfully, you need to understand the importance of information, how it works and what it is used for. You must be able to identify where and how data should be managed, the tools required to complete tasks, and the different roles needed to ensure quality data management. You must also be familiar with data management processes and have the ability to plan, develop and deliver information solutions.
Knowledge and Skills Required
The key knowledge and skills required for data management are listed below. It is important to note that while all of these skills may be applicable in data management, some may be more relevant to specific areas of data management.
Basic Information Technology Skills
You must be able to access and use the technology required to perform your job effectively. These include operating the following:
Computer: You must be able to use computers, both hardware, and software.
Desktop Computers: You must be able to use Microsoft Office programs, such as Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
Laptop/Tablet: You must be able to use mobile applications such as Android and iOS.
Internet: You must be able to search the Internet.
Email: You must be able to send and receive email using a computer or mobile device.
Email Client: You must be able to use a third-party application to manage email on a computer or mobile device.
Network: You must be able to set up, maintain and troubleshoot networks.
Data Security: You must be able to access, secure, and share information.
Information Management: You must be able to store, organize, retrieve and analyze information.
Communication Tools: You must be able to communicate electronically.
Mobile Applications: You must be able to use mobile applications, such as Android and iOS.
Data Management Skills
You must be able to apply basic data management principles and concepts. These include the following:
Data Structures: You must be able to describe, classify, record and summarize data.
Data Flow: You must be able to plan, develop, implement and monitor information solutions.
Quality Management: You must be able to measure, report, assess, improve, and control data quality.
– **Metrics** – You must be able to collect, interpret, and analyze data and information.
– **Organizational Skills** – You must be able to develop effective work plans, prioritize tasks, and manage time.
– **Problem Solving** – You must be able to identify problems, identify and diagnose their causes, and recommend solutions.
– **Workforce Planning** – You must be able to forecast demand, recruit staff, and motivate employees.
– **Financial Analysis** – You must be able to identify cost drivers and calculate budgets, costs, and expenses.
– **Managing Projects** – You must be able to develop and lead a project, manage stakeholders, prepare project documents, and close a project.
– **Teamwork** – You must be able to work with people in a team and solve problems.
– **Business Knowledge** – You must be able to interpret data and information and identify trends.
– **Business Processes** – You must be able to design processes that guide people through the data management life cycle.
You must be able to access and use the tools required to complete your job effectively. These include the following:
– **Office Software** – You must be able to create documents, presentations, and spreadsheets.
– **Data Storage Media** – You must be able to back up and store information.
– **Software** – You must be able to create and modify software applications.
– **Operating System** – You must be able to access, use and install the operating system required to perform your job.
– **Database Management Systems** – You must be able to access, create, maintain and support databases.
– **Information Systems Integration** – You must be able to integrate data and systems from a variety of sources.
– **Email Management** – You must be able to manage emails and provide access to email accounts.
– **Cloud Computing** – You must be able to access cloud computing resources.
– **Software Development** – You must be able to develop software and make changes to existing code.
– **Communication Tools** – You must be able to communicate electronically using the latest technology.
– **Mobile Applications** – You must be able to use mobile applications, such as Android and iOS.
**Information Technology Tools** – You must be able to access, use and support the technology required to perform your job effectively. These include the following:
– **Computer Hardware** – You must be able to connect and manage computer hardware.
– **Hardware** – You must be able to set up, configure, and maintain a networked computer system. *
– **Business Continuity/Disaster Recovery (BC/DR)** – You must be able to recover data and maintain an operational system after a disaster occurs. *
– **Security** – You must have the ability to assess the security of your environment, implement appropriate safeguards and controls, and ensure that only authorized users are allowed access to information.