Vehicle accidents are not worth experiences. It comes with physical injuries and some, with emotional trauma. It also requires medical treatment that costs a lot. In cases where the accident brought about injuries, you’ll be needing the services of a personal injury lawyer. But in another case of destruction of property only, hire a car accident lawyer.
Things to do after a car accident
Car accidents brings about anxiety, shock and pain. However, it is necessary to do the following:
- Pull yourself together: Don’t let shock or panic attack take over you. It would do more harm.
- Call 911: call 911 immediately if you sustained injuries. If you didn’t, move away from the vehicle, then call 911.
- Get info about the other vehicle’s owner: Exchange names, insurance company and driver’s license number.
- Call your insurer: Before you call your insurer, gather info about the other vehicle, also take pictures of the damage done to your vehicle or property.
- Go to the hospital: Bear in mind that even though you didn’t sustain injuries that can be seen, there might be injuries sustained internally.
Things you should not do after a car accident
Below are common mistakes you should avoid doing after a car accident.
- Admitting that you’re responsible for the accident. Apologizing or taking blame.
- Getting angry or emotional. Attacking the other vehicle’s driver physically or verbally.
- Negotiating or entering deals with the other vehicle’s driver. It’s the duty of your lawyer and insurance company to do all these.
When to hire a lawyer after a car accident
It is important to hire a lawyer as soon as possible after the car accident especially where there is a property damage as a result of the accident. If there were injuries sustained, a personal injury lawyer should be hired as well. These lawyers will guide you through the compensation process and defend you from a negligence claim if you are the driver at fault.
Why it is important to hire a lawyer after a car accident?
Explaining legal issues and representation
You need a lawyer to explain incomprehensible insurance policies and guide or defend you during a negligence claim or lawsuit. A professional car accident attorney would also ensure that you get the compensation you deserve.
Settling with your insurance company
A car accident lawyer meets with your insurance company to ensure that you get a fair insurance coverage of what was lost or damaged during the accident.
Items to be provided to the lawyer after a car accident
Once you’ve hired a lawyer, provide them with the following documentation
- Evidence collected from the accident scene
- Medical reports (of injuries sustained in the accident)
- Insurance company details.
- Information about the accident.
- Financial documentation and warranty paperwork relevant to the accident.
When should you file a claim for a car accident?
- No long talk. Do it as soon as possible.
Determining the value of compensation
There are many factors that could determine the value of compensation a person would receive from the at-fault party after a car accident. The duty of your lawyer to represent you and use these factors to get you your compensation.
Below are factors and analysis the lawyer would put into consideration
- Medical bills(past and future)
- Death claim.
- Personal pain and injuries
- Financial loss.
- Property damage
- Emotional instability…..
Now you’ve got a clue, or lots of clues why car accident lawyer is necessary after a car accident.
Share your experience with us in our comments section below. We’d love to engage with you. Subscribe to our newsletter for more juicy legal content.