Read Also: Why Outlook 2016, 2013, 2010 & 2007 PST File Keeps Getting Corrupted?
To understand the problem more clearly, refer to the following user query:
Hazel Martin: “Hi all. I am a doctor and always used a specific Hotmail account for my patients’ folders. I had almost 2000 emails in my account. Then, Hotmail upgraded to MS Outlook. The problem is I do not know how to open Hotmail emails in Outlook. Is there any way to add Hotmail to Outlook? Any help or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.”
Hotmail Email Changed to Outlook – Techniques
There are different possible manual methods for accessing the Hotmail emails in Outlook. These methods are applicable to all the version of Outlook like Outlook 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007. The most efficient and feasible methods are described in detail.
Solution 1: Configure Hotmail in Outlook
A user needs to follow these steps to access Hotmail emails in Outlook:
- Launch Outlook application in the local system
- Click on File and then Accounts
- Then, enter the Outlook.com account details. Hit on Next
- Wait till the configuration ends, then click on Finish button
- Start Outlook again to save the settings needed to configure the account
Solution 2: SMTP/POP3 Configuration
For exporting Hotmail emails to Outlook, a user needs to follow the given set of instructions:
- Open MS Outlook in the machine. Go to File and then hit on “Add Account”
- Select the option of “Manual setup or additional server types >> Next” and then again “Next
- Choose the “POP and IMAP Account Settings” as an option followed by “Next”
- Now, enter all the details in the field and then, click on “More Settings”
- In the Internet E-mail Settings dialog box, navigate to the Outgoing Server tab. Then select the checkbox indicating “My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication”. Fill up the details
- Navigate to the “Advanced” tab. Click on the radio button Leave a copy of messages on the Server. Under the option Remove from server after, put a number, say 14 and then, click on OK to import Hotmail emails to Outlook 2010 and other versions too
- Then, in “Add Account” window, click on Next
- To activate the POP3 option in Hotmail, open Outlook.com account. Click on the gear icon (Settings) and select an alternative of Options
- From many options present in the left pane, select “POP and IMAP options”. Click on “Yes” under “POP options” and then click on “Save”
- Doing this will enable POP. Exit from Outlook.com and then, open Outlook followed by clicking on Next
- The tasks will be displayed along with the status. Click on “Close”.
- To complete the setup, click on “Finish”. Now your Hotmail email changed to Outlook.
Solution 3: Transfer Hotmail to Outlook with IMAP Configuration
Follow below mentioned steps to upgrade Hotmail to Outlook:
- Launch Microsoft Outlook and select the option of File followed by “Add Account”
- Choose the option of “Manual setup or additional server” and then, “Next”
- Click on the radio button of “POP or IMAP” followed by “Next”
- Enter all the details regarding user and login information
- Press on “More Settings”
- A window of “Internet E-mail Settings” will open up. Navigate to “Outgoing Server” tab then, click on My “outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication” to import Hotmail emails to Outlook
- Move to “Advanced” tab, enter the following details:
- Port Number of Incoming Server (IMAP)= 993
- Use encrypted connection as SSL
- Port Number of Outgoing Server (SMTP)= 25
- Use encrypted connection as TLS
8. Click on “OK” and then, “Next” to go back to the “POP and IMAP account settings”.
9. Select the option “Close”. Now you can see your Hotmail email changed to Outlook. So, now you can access it from the Outlook.
Alternative Solution: Use Professional Tool
The manual solutions stated above are easy to perform, but that are not reliable to a great extent. Hence, these free of cost solutions are a bit risky. In order to change Hotmail to Outlook, an automated tool can also be used like Hotmail Backup. According to the experts, it is the master solution to backup Hotmail emails to the local machine. Doing this will export Hotmail data to Outlook PST format. The best feature of this tool is it does not save Hotmail credentials in any of the databases.
How To: Recover Deleted PST Files in Outlook
The Final Words
Microsoft has improved Hotmail as Outlook. So, the data of Hotmail cannot be accessed. The top 3 manual methods described above explain how Hotmail email changed to Outlook. But, in case, some issue arises, an automated tool or alternate method is also introduced. While using this commercial tool, the network bandwidth can be changed as per the users’ requirement.